From personal experience, though our clients have very strong email databases, there is nothing that even comes close to the effectiveness of email marketing. As with anything else involving digital, the industry is constantly morphing, social continues to dominate people’s time and mobile is becoming more and more of a factor. The state of email marketing will continue to change but for now, it’s still damn effective.
We’ve accumulated some data to shed some light on this oft overlooked form of marketing.
- 66% of online consumers bought something based on an email marketing message. (Direct Marketing Association)
- The most widely used email client is the iPhone at 26%. Think responsively. (emailclientmarketshare.com)
- 64% of decision-makers read their email via mobile devices. (TopRankBlog)
- 49 percent of marketers are sending more than 500,000 marketing emails annually. (Exact Target)
- Personalized subject lines are 22.2% more likely to be opened. (Adestra July 2012 Report)
- When marketed through email, consumers spend 138% more than people who don’t receive email offers. (Source: Convince and Convert)
- 48% of emails are opened on a mobile device. (Source: Litmus)
- Emails that include social sharing buttons have a 158% higher click-through rate. (GetResponse)
- For every $1 spent on email marketing the average return is $44.25 (yes, that’s an ROI of over 4,000%). (Experian)
- Email Marketing and Content Marketing go hand in hand. (Jivaldi) 🙂
Still, before you run out and start sending emails to your database, remember that content is important, people don’t like getting spammed, story-telling works, your customers like to feel special, and just be sure you send them something they want.
So let it be written…